Rotary Club of Detroit
Club ID – 3031 District – 6400
Founded – 1910
President: Reneé Yancey Secretary: Theresa J Tobkin
Meeting Weekly on a Wednesday at 12:00
Detroit Athletics Club, 241 Madison Street, Detroit, MI 48226
The Rotary Club of Detroit was founded in 1910, and it was and still is club number 16. It was the first Rotary club in Michigan, preceding hundreds of Rotary clubs in the neighbouring states of Indiana, Ohio, and Ontario.
Over the years, the club has seen thousands of members coming from Detroit’s businesses and professions, all of them providing service to Detroit and the world through hands-on projects and contributions of millions of dollars.
Notable historic members include Edward Hines, Frank Campbell, Henry Ewald, Edgar Guest, Frank Cody, Stanley Kresge.
The club collaborates with other Rotary Clubs in the district to provide service to Detroit and its surrounding communities and for several years it has partnered with the Detroit AM Rotary Club, the Grosse Pointe Rotary Club, and the Grosse Pointe Sunrise Rotary Club to purchase and distribute new winter coats to local children in need.
The Rotary Club of Detroit is aligned with Rotary International on global initiatives including the eradication of Polio, and partnerships extend to Rotary Clubs in other parts of the world in support of clean water projects and disaster relief.
The club also sponsors and mentors a Rotaract club at Wayne State University and an Interact club at Osborne High School.
World Clean Up Day last September saw the WSU Rotaract and The Rotary Club of Detroit gardening and picking up litter in front of the old police station at Belle Isle (Michigan), part of the International Day of Service project.